Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design (BERD)
As part of the Clinical Research One team, BERD strives to be a regional leader in basic, clinical, and translational research. It aims to be a key partner at Wayne State to encourage scientific cooperation and collaboration. Through BERD's expertise and diligent work, they aim to make our schools and colleges, our university, and our city the place to do clinical and translational research.
BERD provides services as a "One-Stop Shop" for all Wayne State wide quantitative & data intensive research needs. BERD facilitates and develops rigorous and well-planned research for clinicians and research faculty.
The experience and expertise of BERD is wide-ranging, with particular emphasis on intervention design, health equity and disparities, social determinants of health, and the unique demographics and epidemiology of the Detroit metropolitan area.
Investigators face many challenges; designing and conducting research should not be one of them. BERD will design, build and analyze high quality research projects so that faculty can focus on the science.
BERD offers full service research support from inception to publication, for grants, industry collaborations, and investigator initiated studies.
- Formulation of research aims and development of plans for data collection and analysis. Statistical study design issues including experimental design, power analysis, and sample size assessment.
- Data cleaning and analysis, including preprocessing and shaping of data for analysis, descriptive statistics, hypothesis testing, statistical modelling, and advanced analytics.
- Interpretation and presentation of statistical findings. Creation of data displays and statistical tables. Production of written statistical methods and summary description.
- Content expertise in epidemiology with emphasis on measurement of health disparities and social determinants of health.
- Design of data collection forms, surveys and observational studies with emphasis on health equity.
- Collate and curate data and reports specific to health in Detroit, the region, and nationwide. Offer reports on demand for available validated data.
- Design and development of electronic data collection instruments and study databases for a multitude of study designs including surveys, RCTs, clustered, longitudinal, and multi-center studies.
- Strategies for storage and management of large and complex data sets. Data archiving and cataloging. Transfer of legacy data into robust storage systems.
BERD includes four Ph.D.-level faculty biostatisticians, one Ph.D.-level faculty epidemiologist, one Ph.D.-level health economist and two masters-level staff biostatisticians. Computational resources include high-end desktops (Xeon-based workstations) and access to the WSU high-performance computing grid. Statistical analyses packages include SAS, R, SPSS, STATA, and Matlab.
Data management is supported by a variety of platforms, including Qualtrics, REDCap, OnCore, and Forte EDC. REDCap, OnCore, and Forte EDC systems are all locally maintained in a secure, climate-controlled environment with routine, scheduled backups. The Forte EDC systems are 21CFR Part 11 compliant for use in trials requiring FDA submission.
Charge back system via Full Time Equivalent (FTE) support for grants. Fee based service is also available if you cannot obtain FTE support. Estimation of pricing is available upon request.
- Support Request page – A single page encompassing the full range of biostatistical, epidemiological, and database services offered. Page options dynamically adjust to user needs and responses.
BERD Key Contacts:
Samiran Ghosh, PhD - Director of Biostatistics
Dawn Misra, PhD –Director of Epidemiology
Robert Welch, MD, MS – Clinical Research Design and Biostatistics
Scott Millis, PhD – Clinical Research Desing and Biostatistics
Abhijit Mandal, PhD – Statistics
Kazuhiko Shinki, PhD - Statistics
Shooshan Danogoulian, PhD – Health economics