Faculty Competition for Postdoctoral Fellows
Award: $30,000 per year for up to two years
Deadline: Proposals accepted at any time and reviewed on a quarterly basis (November 15, February 15, May 15, August 15)
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) offers the Faculty Competition for Postdoctoral Fellows to enhance the productivity of WSU faculty by augmenting their capacity to attract and support postdoctoral fellows. This initiative will provide funds of up to $30,000 per year for a maximum of $60,000 for two years to help support the requested postdoctoral position. These postdoctoral positions will be awarded directly to faculty on a university-wide competitive basis for support of their research/scholarship and training endeavors. Additional funds will be needed to offer an appropriate salary to the postdoctoral fellow; therefore, it is required that sufficient supplemental funds be identified and committed at the time of application. Additional funds may come from sources such as applicant's department or college, grant support, or start-up funds.
Eligibility to receive a postdoctoral position is limited to full-time WSU faculty members with active research interests and responsibilities. Postdoctoral candidate must be a new hire, and must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, except for proposals received for the November review cycle. The U.S. citizenship/residency requirement for postdoctoral candidate is waived for November review cycle.
The application consisting of these items should not exceed five pages (excluding the cover page and abbreviated CVs):
- Cover sheet
- Short narrative of research program as well as the role that the requested postdoctoral fellow will have in that program
- Recruiting plans
- Expected qualifications of postdoctoral fellow
- Evidence of applicant's scholarly productivity
- Budget that includes total salary and benefits for postdoctoral fellow, specifying amount being requested from OVPR and amount provided by additional source (indicate source and amount)
- Letter of support from department or division leader indicating financial support (if applicable)
- Plan for career development for the postdoctoral fellow
NOTE: If selected for funding, an Individual Development Plan will need to be created and formalized in conjunction with WSU's Office for Postdoctoral Studies, describing long-term and short-term objectives which the faculty mentor and postdoctoral trainee have identified as important steps in the fellow's scientific and professional development.
- Biosketch or abbreviated CV not to exceed 4 pages for faculty applicant and postdoctoral fellow (if identified)
Applications will be evaluated by a selection committee assembled by OVPR staff. The evaluation emphasis will focus on the productivity of the requesting faculty member, expected qualifications of the postdoctoral candidate, and financial support provided by the requesting faculty or department.
The application document should include the cover sheet, application, and biosketches or abbreviated CVs in one PDF document. Biosketches or abbreviated CVs should not exceed 4 pages each.
Submit your request with uploaded PDF document through Evisions. Evisions is accessible via the Research Resources tab in Academica. A WSU access ID and Academica password is required. To submit your internal funding request, please follow the steps in the Internal Evisions user guide.
- Select "Faculty Competition for Postdoctoral Fellows" - OVPR" for sponsor name
- Include "VP Research H09050" as the Approving Units sections of Evisions to correctly route through the system
- Enter the upcoming quarterly review month as program application deadline (review months: November, February, May, August)
- Receive all unit and college approvals in Evisions (application does not route to OVPR until all unit approvals are received)
- Do not include indirect costs for internal funding
If you have questions about entering and uploading your internal funding proposal, please contact Tim Foley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-577-8357. If you have questions about the particular funding program, contact Sarah James at email@example.com or 313-577-8997. If you have questions about transfer of funds for any of our programs, contact Helen Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-577-2824. If assistance is required with technical issues, please contact Research_IT@wayne.edu.