Grants Boost Program
Fall Deadline: November 20, 2017
Winter Deadline: April 2, 2018
WSU's Grants Boost Program is designed to boost the chances of funding of a resubmission of new grant. Eligibility for this award includes previous submission of a new grant to an external funding agency within the last 12 months and grant review scores that suggest a likelihood of funding on a resubmission providing additional preliminary data are available. Unscored NIH grant applications are not eligible for this funding.
Size of Award and Time Period
The size of the award will not exceed $35,000. Applicants may only apply for one year's funding at a time. Applications will be accepted two times a year (see deadlines above).
Faculty salary cannot be supported through this mechanism and will remain the responsibility of the unit (college, school, department, center, or institute). A letter of support will be required from the department chair, dean or director responsible for providing salary and space support to the applicant (see Application Requirements).
Assistance CAN be requested for the following expense categories:
- Lab supplies
- Animal Care
- Salaries/benefits for research support personnel
Grants Boost Funds CANNOT be used for:
- Budget overdraft coverage
- PI and co-PI salaries (including summer salaries)
- Administrative costs (i.e., school and departmental surcharges)
- Cover sheet
- A half-page overview of your research program.
- Information on the grant you will be resubmitting, including sponsor, funding mechanism, title, funding period, and amount.
- External review documents of the grant to be resubmitted, including original unedited priority scores, agency comments, and pay lines.
- Describe in no more than a page how you will address the deficiencies noted in the reviews of the unfunded application, as well as how your use of boost funding will lead to a successful renewal.
- In no more than one page, provide a detailed budget of proposed expenditures using the categories of "personnel, lab supplies and miscellaneous." Add a brief explanation of the categories of funding requested.
- A letter of support from the applicant's Department Chair, Dean or Director responsible for providing salary and space support to the applicant.
- An abbreviated CV of no more than 4 pages of the PI, in NIH or NSF format. Please do not include a full CV.
Review of Applications and Funding Criteria
Review of applications will be carried out by a committee consisting of associate research deans/directors and associate vice presidents for research. This committee will recommend which applications to fund, based on:
- Likelihood of eventual funding (using evidence such as the priority score, the nature of the criticisms, how well criticisms were addressed, publication record, and research productivity)
- Applications that do not include the original unedited reviews of the grant to be resubmitted will not be considered.
- Applicant must be PI of the grant to be resubmitted.
Faculty members receiving Grants Boost funds may be required by the review committee to have an external reviewer critique the revised grant proposal prior to resubmission. Funding for the external review will be paid for by OVPR.
Funds will not be released until the faculty member provides evidence of IRB or IACUC approval, if applicable.
Awards will be competitive and all applications may not be funded.
Proposals should be uploaded as one PDF through Evisions. Evisions is accessible via the Research Resources tab in Academica. A WSU access ID and Academica password is required.
To submit your internal funding request, please follow the steps in the Internal Evisions user guide.
- Select sponsor name "Grants Boost - OVPR"
- Reference what grant you are planning to boost in your project title
- Include program application deadline
- Receive all unit and college approvals by 5 p.m. on program deadline
- Do not include indirect costs on internal funding requests
- Include "VP Research H09050" in the Approving Units sections of Evisions to correctly route through the system
If you have questions about entering and uploading your internal funding proposal, please contact Tim Foley at email@example.com or 313-577-8357. If you have questions about the particular funding program, contact Sarah James at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-577-8997. If you have questions about transfer of funds for any of our programs, contact Helen Smith at email@example.com or 313-577-2824. If assistance is required with technical issues, please contact Research_IT@wayne.edu.