Welcome to Research at Wayne State University, one of the nation's pre-eminent public research universities in an urban setting.
Through our multidisciplinary approach to research and education, and ongoing collaboration with government, industry and other institutions, we seek to expand knowledge, enhance economic growth and improve the quality of life in the city of Detroit, state of Michigan and throughout the world.
Through our dedication and leadership, Wayne State University is a nationally recognized center of excellence in research. Our faculty lead the nation in many key research areas and their groundbreaking discoveries make a difference in the everyday lives of others around the corner and around the world.
- Wayne State researchers working with U.S. Army to optimize vehicle engine performance
- Wayne State professor earns NSF CAREER award to improve wireless wearable biosensors
- Wayne State Political Science professor receives NSF funding to explore constraints on policy learning after disasters
- Wayne State receives $1 million NSF grant to support commuter students in engineering
- Obstetrics and Anesthesia: Married 165+ Years and Going Strong
- Conversations on Commercialization: "Protection, Development and Commercialization of Therapeutics"
- The Opioid Epidemic and the Role of the Anesthesiologist
- Head and Neck Cutaneous Melanoma
- FY18 Program Announcements from the office of Congressionally-Directed Medical Research Programs for DoD BMFRP, GWIRP, LCRP, MSRP, PRCRP and PRMRP
- Supplement Funding Opportunity for NIH-funded Researchers
- Important news from NSF: Changes to the way the research community registers for NSF accounts and maintains account and user profile information
- Important ClinicalTrials.gov Requirements
Ranked 70th among public universities by NSF
Wayne State is ranked 70th by NSF among public research universities for total R&D expenditures
Research award dollars totaled over $236 million in FY17
Total research award dollars rose over 36% from FY13 to FY17.
There were 1,108 research awards in FY17
Total number of research awards rose over 7% since FY13.
NIH awards rose to 260 in FY17
Awards from the National Institutes of HEalth rose 6.5% in FY17. Overall, federal awards rose by 4.5% in FY15.