Welcome to Research at Wayne State University, one of the nation's pre-eminent public research universities in an urban setting.
Through our multidisciplinary approach to research and education, and ongoing collaboration with government, industry and other institutions, we seek to expand knowledge, enhance economic growth and improve the quality of life in the city of Detroit, state of Michigan and throughout the world.
Through our dedication and leadership, Wayne State University is a nationally recognized center of excellence in research. Our faculty lead the nation in many key research areas and their groundbreaking discoveries make a difference in the everyday lives of others around the corner and around the world.
- WSU research group receives NSF award for collaborative research on the interdependency of drinking water and health systems
- New nanotherapy offers hope in treating drug-resistant renal cell carcinoma
- Dr. Phil Levy discusses how Medicare Advantage can save lives, money by covering blood pressure monitors (Detroit Free Press, Sept. 19, 2018)
- Technology Commercialization hosted NCI SBIR program director - slide deck available
- Nosology of Placental Lesions
- Non-Traditional Research Careers: Paths Taken!
- George E. Palade Award and Distinguished Lecture: David Baltimore, Ph.D.
- Protein-Lipid Modification and Retinal Blinding Diseases
Ranked 70th among public universities by NSF
Wayne State is ranked 70th by NSF among public research universities for total R&D expenditures
Research award dollars totaled over $236 million in FY17
Total research award dollars rose over 36% from FY13 to FY17.
There were 1,108 research awards in FY17
Total number of research awards rose over 7% since FY13.
NIH awards rose to 260 in FY17
Awards from the National Institutes of HEalth rose 6.5% in FY17. Overall, federal awards rose by 4.5% in FY15.