Welcome to Research at Wayne State University, one of the nation's pre-eminent public research universities in an urban setting.
Through our multidisciplinary approach to research and education, and ongoing collaboration with government, industry and other institutions, we seek to expand knowledge, enhance economic growth and improve the quality of life in the city of Detroit, state of Michigan and throughout the world.
Through our dedication and leadership, Wayne State University is a nationally recognized center of excellence in research. Our faculty lead the nation in many key research areas and their groundbreaking discoveries make a difference in the everyday lives of others around the corner and around the world.
- Data Explosion opens Wayne State’s presidential symposia series
- Wayne State University researchers do brain imaging scans to show what happens when ‘The Iceman’ faces unusually cold temperatures
- Novel study is first to demonstrate brain mechanisms that give “The Iceman” unusual resistance to cold
- Wayne State engineering professor earns NSF CAREER award for wireless wearable biosensors
- Social Work Center for Research Winter 2018 Brown Bag Series - Part 2
- A Common Sense Approach to Understanding the Revised Common Rule
- TNP Seminar: Genetic Risk Factors for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: What the FAAH is going on?
- Workshop: How to Use COS Pivot to Search for External Funding
- Important news from NSF: Changes to the way the research community registers for NSF accounts and maintains account and user profile information
- Water@Wayne Winter 2018 Seminars Announced
- Learn how to search for external funding opportunities through COS Pivot – hands-on workshops scheduled for fall and winter semesters
- Important ClinicalTrials.gov Requirements
Ranked 70th among public universities by NSF
Wayne State is ranked 70th by NSF among public research universities for total R&D expenditures
Research award dollars totaled over $236 million in FY17
Total research award dollars rose over 36% from FY13 to FY17.
There were 1,108 research awards in FY17
Total number of research awards rose over 7% since FY13.
NIH awards rose to 260 in FY17
Awards from the National Institutes of HEalth rose 6.5% in FY17. Overall, federal awards rose by 4.5% in FY15.