Mandatory CITI training
The WSU IRB requires all Principal Investigators (PIs), key personnel, and authorized signatories to understand and act in accordance with the requirements of the regulations pertaining to the protection of human participants in research. Therefore, all PIs, key personnel, and authorized signatories must complete required Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) training modules before their projects can receive IRB approval. Once CITI has been completed, the Basic Course in Human Subjects Research must be renewed every three years.
Any PI or key personnel who is affiliated with WSU or a WSU-affiliated institution (The Detroit Medical Center (DMC), Karmanos Cancer Institute (KCI), John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC), or Oakwood Healthcare) must complete the modules assigned by WSU. Key personnel who are not affiliated may either complete the CITI modules assigned by WSU, or they may print a record of training completed within the last three years, to fulfill requirements at another institution. Only training comparable to the WSU required training will be accepted.
Registering for CITI Training: Wayne State University required modules
Required for all key personnel
Key personnel are defined as any persons engaged in the collection of data or persons who will have access to data through intervention or interaction with participants, including the consent process, or, in any capacity, have access to participant identifiable private information.
CITI registration (this step is only required once)
- CITI website: www.citiprogram.org
- Select "Register' located in top right hand corner of the page.
- Select Organization Affiliation –Wayne State University – Detroit, MI
- Personal Information – Complete all fields with an asterisk.
- Create your Username and Password with Security Question and Security Answer
- Optional disclosure of Gender, Ethnicity and Race (disclosure is not required)
- Answer questions about CEU credits
- Complete information requested by WSU –
- Any email address can be used but an institutional email address is preferred
- Employee number and campus address are not required.
Selecting required curriculum
Q #1 - Basic Course in Human Subjects Research is required.
Choose a learner group, as applicable.
Q #2 - Good Clinical Practice is not required, however a selection must be made.
Q #3 - Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS) Course is required.
Choose the Information for Investigators learner group.
Q #4 - Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Course is required.
Choose a learner group, as applicable.
Q #5 - Conflicts of Interest Course is not required unless instructed to complete; a selection must be made.
Q #6 - Laboratory Animal Welfare courses are not required by the IRB. Skip this question if appropriate.
Q #s 7 – 8 These courses are not required unless instructed to complete; only select if applicable.
Q #s 9 -13 - These courses are not required unless applicable; a selection must be made.
More about CITI required training
- The main menu status must show “Passed” for each course in order to satisfy requirements.
- A score of 75% or better is passing.
- Modules can be completed over time by logging back into CITI.
- The three required courses may take 3-5 hours on average to complete. This time will vary based on how much time an individual spends reading the training material.
- Other “optional’ modules may be required based on your research design; the IRB application will indicate when additional modules are required.
- If taking CITI modules for a WSU course, your instructor may have different requirements than the IRB
For questions regarding the WSU requirements for CITI training: call the IRB office: (313) 577-1628
To find out if CITI training requirements have been met: Email firstname.lastname@example.org