Welcome to Research at Wayne State University, one of the nation's pre-eminent public research universities in an urban setting.
Through our multidisciplinary approach to research and education, and ongoing collaboration with government, industry and other institutions, we seek to expand knowledge, enhance economic growth and improve the quality of life in the city of Detroit, state of Michigan and throughout the world.
Through our dedication and leadership, Wayne State University is a nationally recognized center of excellence in research. Our faculty lead the nation in many key research areas and their groundbreaking discoveries make a difference in the everyday lives of others around the corner and around the world.
- New NIH study to research the risk of hearing loss in Detroit firefighters
- Sperm RNA may serve as biomarkers of future health, Wayne State University researchers find
- New study out of WSU further supports use of progesterone to fight preterm birth
- Wayne State professor joins Nobel winners in receiving White Lifetime Science Award
- Freshwater Cyanotoxins: "Do Not Swim" and "Do Not Drink, Do Not Boil" Alerts
- Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics Seminar: Marianna Sadagurski, PhD
- ER stress-induced CXCL 10/CXCR3 pathway in retinal inflammation and neurodegeneration
- Impacts of Childhood Experiences on Adulthood Caregiving Roles
- Learn how to search for external funding opportunities through COS Pivot – hands-on workshops scheduled for fall and winter semesters
- Important ClinicalTrials.gov Requirements
- Changing policies impact NIH-funded studies involving human subjects
- Dr. David Rosenberg named a Crain's Health Care Hero
Ranked 70th among public universities by NSF
Wayne State is ranked 70th by NSF among public research universities for total R&D expenditures
Research award dollars totaled over $236 million in FY17
Total research award dollars rose over 36% from FY13 to FY17.
There were 1,108 research awards in FY17
Total number of research awards rose over 7% since FY13.
NIH awards rose to 260 in FY17
Awards from the National Institutes of HEalth rose 6.5% in FY17. Overall, federal awards rose by 4.5% in FY15.