Changes Coming to eProtocol!
The IACUC has been working over the last nine months to reduce administrative burden on investigators, while keeping in line with regulatory requirements of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the PHS Policy. Recently, we turned our attention to the eProtocol IACUC form.
We are pleased to announce that within the next few months, changes will be coming to the eProtocol IACUC form that will improve the overall flow of the form while meeting the latest regulatory requirements. Some of the changes include, but are not limited to:
- Elimination of the need for a literature search for USDA Category procedures B and C
- Literature search will still be needed for USDA Category procedures D and E
- Elimination of the need to list strains in the IACUC protocol
- Elimination of most transgenic animals’ sections (e.g., elimination of questions related to inserted and knocked out genes, biological characteristics of genes, etc.)
- Simplification of the justification question related to non-pharmaceutical grade drugs (i.e., change from short answer to multiple choice questions)
We are working with our software developers, Key Solutions, to implement these changes and several more by January 2023. We hope that the changes will improve the usability of the IACUC form and reduce administrative burden on researchers, while meeting our regulatory obligations. We will keep you informed as to the progress of these changes and when they become live.
As always, if you have any questions, please contact the IACUC Office at IACUC@wayne.edu.
Director, Research Communications