The Division of Laboratory Animal Resources, committed to providing an environment that promotes quality biomedical research, is entrusted with humane and responsible veterinary, technical and husbandry support of all animals utilized in research and teaching. This is accomplished through education, training, professional consultation and assistance as we strive to surpass goals and standards mandated by state and federal law, accrediting bodies and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. Our facilities exceed all regulatory standards, and DLAR, along with the remainder of the animal care program, has been continually AAALAC accredited since the 1970s.
The Division of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR) operates the university's laboratory animal care and use program, in coordination with the IACUC, and other university entities. The DLAR serves all university programs that utilize animals for teaching and research purposes. The DLAR goals and objectives include the following:
- Provision of a high quality laboratory animal care and use program to assure productive research and teaching programs.
- To provide services, expertise and guidance on all matters related to animal care and use.
- To assure compliance with institutional, local, state and federal laws, standards, policies and guidelines related to laboratory animal care and use.
- To provide training in proper laboratory animal care and use procedures to faculty, staff and students involved in the use of animals in research or teaching programs.
- To provide a continued leadership role by the DLAR's professional and non-professional staff involvement in local, regional and national organizations concerned with laboratory animal science and biomedical research.
- To provide and utilize resources (personnel, informational, space, and equipment) in a manner that will assure maintenance of an AAALAC accredited laboratory animal care program that promotes the retention and recruitment of high caliber faculty to Wayne State University and affiliated institutions.