Wayne State University (WSU) has four separate committees that are constituted as Institutional Review Boards (IRBs), and which have oversight over all human participant research at WSU and its affiliates registered under the Wayne State Federalwide Assurance (FWA). There are three IRBs that review medical protocols involving adult and pediatric participants (PH1, M1, and MP2). The Behavioral IRB (B3) is responsible for reviewing all behavioral, education and social science research with adults and minors.
Wayne State University Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) is fully accredited by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs Inc. (AAHRPP).
Federal Wide Assurance
Wayne State University (WSU) operates its Human Research Protection Program under a Federalwide Assurance (FWA) on file with the Office for Human Research Protection (OHRP) with identification number: FWA 00002460. This registration can be accessed by searching for "Wayne State U" in the OHRP Database.
Individually registered Institutional Review Board (IRB) committee numbers:
- IRB00006856 is for PH1- Medical
- IRB00000325 is for M1- Medical adult
- IRB00000326 is for MP2- Medical and Pediatric
- IRB00000327 is for B3- Social, Behavioral, Education
This FWA covers the WSU IRBs and its affiliated health care institutions (Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Detroit Receiving Hospital/University Health Center, Sinai-Grace Hospital, Harper University Hospital, Huron Valley/Sinai Hospital, Hutzel Women's Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan, John D. Dingell Veterans Administration Medical Center, and Michigan Orthopedic Surgery Hospital).
Wayne State University limited the scope of its FWA to federally funded research. Refer to the Flexible Review and Oversight of Research Not Covered by Federalwide Assurance Policy (.doc) for information about flexibility in the review and oversight of eligible research.
For questions, concerns or suggestions regarding the Human Research Protection Program, please call (313) 577-1628.
Letter of Compliance (PDF)
The WSU IRB follows the WSU main campus holiday schedule and emergency closures.
- Common Rule Changes effective Jan. 21
- Wayne State Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) preparing for sweeping changes to federal regulations
- Important ClinicalTrials.gov Requirements
- Wayne State receives full accreditation for human research protection program
- Wayne State University receives "gold seal" for research protections