Submitting an Animal Research Protocol
The IACUC is using eProtocol. Please contact the IACUC office at (313) 577-1629 or email@example.com if you need assistance submitting a protocol.
A Division of Research eProtocol website with training manuals and a link to eProtocol can be found at http://research.wayne.edu/eprotocol/.
You can access eProtocol directly at https://ksprodweb.ovpr.wayne.edu/.
- Please make sure you use the latest version of one of the supported browsers: Firefox or Safari
Sample IACUC protocol in eProtocol
Review this video to learn more about creating an IACUC protocol in eProtocol.
eProtocol Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
As a Principal Investigator what do I need to know before I submit a protocol using eProtocol?
How do I add my WSU Access ID to the CITI Program so that eProtocol can access my online training records?
How do research personnel complete their certifications and COI disclosures?
How does a Chair (signatory official) certify a protocol?
Protocol Application Questions
How do I correctly complete the Procedures Section?
Can I really only submit one amendment at a time in eProtocol?
How should I add a new person to my eProtocol if he/she has not been trained by the DLAR?
Protocol Checklists and Submission Information
Protocol submission checklist for application for use of vertebrate animals in research, teaching or testing
General Step-by-Step Guide for Review and Approval
- Check the Education/Training requirements. Once you have completed the majority of the protocol you can use the PDF link on the "Training Checklist" page in eProtocol to see the protocol-specific training requirements. You will be able to see what must be completed prior to submission and/or prior to approval.
- Check the IACUC Meeting Dates and Deadlines.
- Submit the protocol application and the associated grant (if applicable) using eProtocol.
- Your protocol will be pre-reviewed prior to the meeting. Look for emails from the eProtocol system to let you know when you need to respond to comments from the reviewer.
- The IACUC Office will submit the protocol to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) for review; OEHS will contact you regarding hazardous agents, if applicable.
- Revise your protocol during the "comment cycles" in eProtocol
- Once your pre-review is completed the protocol will be added to the official IACUC meeting agenda. This does require any action by you.
- The protocol will be reviewed by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee at a convened meeting.
- IACUC comments will be sent to you via the eProtocol system just like those sent during the pre-review cycle.
- The IACUC office will verify that all training requirements have been met and any OEHS requirements have been completed.
- An approval notification will be sent via email from eProtocol. Your approval letter can be accessed from eProtocol under Event History; the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR) will receive notification of your approval to authorize animal purchase.
- If the project is considered VA research, you must obtain approval from the VA R&D Committee prior to initiating research.
- If the project has an associated grant/proposal, you must provide Sponsored Program Administration (SPA) with a copy of the approval letter before they will release funds.
- Contact DLAR to initiate animal orders (Animal Procurement Policy and Procedure).
- Work can commence.