Submitting an Animal Research Protocol
The IACUC is using eProtocol. Please contact the IACUC office at (313) 577-1629 or email@example.com if you need assistance submitting a protocol.
A Division of Research eProtocol website with training manuals and a link to eProtocol can be found at http://research.wayne.edu/eprotocol/.
You can access eProtocol directly at https://ksprodweb.ovpr.wayne.edu/.
- Please make sure you use the latest version of one of the supported browsers: Firefox or Safari
Sample IACUC protocol in eProtocol
Review this video to learn more about creating an IACUC protocol in eProtocol.
eProtocol Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Protocol Application Questions
Protocol Checklists and Submission Information
General Step-by-Step Guide for Review and Approval
- Check the Education/Training requirements. Once you have completed the majority of the protocol you can use the PDF link on the "Training Checklist" page in eProtocol to see the protocol-specific training requirements. You will be able to see what must be completed prior to submission and/or prior to approval.
- Check the IACUC Meeting Dates and Deadlines.
- Submit the protocol application and the associated grant (if applicable) using eProtocol.
- Your protocol will be pre-reviewed prior to the meeting. Look for emails from the eProtocol system to let you know when you need to respond to comments from the reviewer.
- The IACUC Office will submit the protocol to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (OEHS) for review; OEHS will contact you regarding hazardous agents, if applicable.
- Revise your protocol during the "comment cycles" in eProtocol
- Once your pre-review is completed the protocol will be added to the official IACUC meeting agenda. This does require any action by you.
- The protocol will be reviewed by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee at a convened meeting.
- IACUC comments will be sent to you via the eProtocol system just like those sent during the pre-review cycle.
- The IACUC office will verify that all training requirements have been met and any OEHS requirements have been completed.
- An approval notification will be sent via email from eProtocol. Your approval letter can be accessed from eProtocol under Event History; the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources (DLAR) will receive notification of your approval to authorize animal purchase.
- If the project is considered VA research, you must obtain approval from the VA R&D Committee prior to initiating research.
- If the project has an associated grant/proposal, you must provide Sponsored Program Administration (SPA) with a copy of the approval letter before they will release funds.
- Contact DLAR to initiate animal orders (Animal Procurement Policy and Procedure).
- Work can commence.