Due to their potential for misuse and abuse, scheduled drugs (controlled substances) listed by the US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and/or the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH), are subject to strict regulation. These rules are aimed at preventing diversion of controlled substances through a variety of administrative and physical controls, including; special procurement, storage, use, and disposal requirements.
Researchers must obtain federal and state licensing (prior to procurement), maintain detailed storage and use records, and follow proper disposal procedures.
The CS program does not apply to Wayne State University faculty and research staff members who hold individual DEA research registration and State of Michigan controlled substance license for the use of controlled substances associated with human research subjects.
It is the responsibility of individual researchers and staff ordering and using these materials to obtain appropriate registrations and licenses.
Auburn Pharmaceuticals, Baxter, The Butler Schein Company, Cardinal Health, Diamondback Drugs, DMC Children's Hospital Pharmacy, DMC Pharmacy, The Harvard Drug Group, Henry Schein, Master Pharmaceutical, Sigma Aldrich
If you plan to use a seller/ vendor other than those listed above, please notify OEH&S to add the vendor to the list of approved CS Vendors.
Biennial (every 2 years) inventories must be available for inspection or transmission to State or Federal authorities at all times. The 'start date' is the day on which initial DEA registration is received.
- Employee Questionnaire/Authorized User Form (to be completed by staff who will have access to Controlled Substances)
- Initial Controlled Substance Inventory Form (a separate initial inventory is required for each registered location)
- State of Michigan Application for Controlled Substance Research License
- Drug Enforcement Administration Controlled Substance Registration Application
- Federal Regulations: Title 21 Regulations and Codified CSA
- Michigan Act 368 of 1978 Public Health Code: Article Seven Controlled Substances
- Michigan Board of Pharmacy Administrative Rules: Controlled Substances
- Controlled Substance Schedules
- U.S. DEA Office of Diversion Control
- Controlled Substances Powerpoint Presentation
Contact Richard Harrison, OEHS Compliance Officer at 313-993-7678 or email@example.com for more information.